What are the causes of redness of the penis? How can it be treated and does home remedies help relieve redness? Find out the answers through this article.
There are a number of reasons that may lead to redness of the penis, which we will cover in details in this article:
What are the causes of redness of the penis?
There are many causes of redness in the penis, some of which are nothing to worry about, and some that need treatment. Examples of those causes are the following:
1. Sexually transmitted diseases
Some sexually transmitted diseases lead to redness and irritation of the penis or even irritation of the area around it. Examples of such diseases include:
- Genital warts.
- These diseases may also cause some other symptoms besides redness, such as: inflammation of the penis or pain during urination or intercourse.
Balanitis is a fungal infection that usually affects the head of the penis and leads to redness. Although it is a fungal infection, it may occur due to bacteria or viruses, and is accompanied by a number of other symptoms, such as:
- Not pleasant smell.
- Creamy secretions under the skin of the penis in severe cases.
- Tighten the skin around the penis.
3. Lichen sclerosus
Lichen sclerosus is characterized by the formation of a thick white layer on the genitals. It is a rare skin disease that leads to redness of the penis and the appearance of scars, itching, or bleeding in the genital area.
Eczema is one of the causes that may lead to redness of the penis, as eczema leads to the spread of a red rash in any area of the body, including the genital areas, and eczema is a common skin disease.
Sensitivity to some things leads to redness of the penis. Examples of such things are the following:
- Chemicals found in soap.
6. Other causes
There are some other reasons that may lead to redness of the penis, such as:
- Urinary tract infections.
- Friction due to intercourse.
- Allergy to some medicines.
How can redness of the penis be treated?
There are a number of methods that are followed in order to treat penis redness, and treatment methods depend on the cause and may include any of the following:
- Steroid ointment: In cases where the cause is a skin disease, such as: eczema, ointments containing steroids are used for treatment.
Antihistamines: In cases where allergies are the cause, antihistamines may help in treatment.
- Antifungals: Antifungal medications are a solution when fungi are the cause of the redness of the penis.
- Antibiotics: These are dispensed when bacteria are the cause of the infection.
The pharmacist helps prescribe the appropriate treatment, but it is best to consult a doctor in order to determine the specific cause.
Home remedy for redness of the penis
There are some home remedies that may help relieve penis redness, such as:
- Salt baths, which may help relieve the itching associated with the redness.
- Cold water compresses, which can be prepared by wrapping an ice cube in a piece of
- cloth, and then placing it on the penis.
- Stop having sex until symptoms ease.
- Use coconut oil as it contains some anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Use cotton swabs with alcohol, as it is believed that it may help kill bacteria, but more
- scientific experiments are necessary to prove this.
- Diluted apple cider vinegar may help relieve redness, but more experiments are needed to prove this is true.